Shelters and Rescue Organizations that join and are accepted into the Adopt-A-Pet program follow these Rules for using the Adopt-A-Pet Service
Adopt-A-Pet Service Guidelines
We are happy to offer Adopt-a-Pet.com to legitimate animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs and animal rescue organizations as a free service. You are all heroes for homeless companion animals, but we do require that you abide by the following terms and conditions for use our service. Many purrs for your cooperation.
- By having pet listings on our site, we are promoting your pets and organization in many ways. We request that in return, if possible, you place a link to Adopt-a-Pet.com on your own website. This helps search engines direct people to our site so they can find a pet to adopt near them.
- We don’t require 501 (c) (3) non-profit status of organizations that list pets with us. However, you must be a legitimate rescue organization and not engaging in activities counter-productive to the cause of animal rescue such as breeding pets, encouraging the public to breed pets, or selling pets for profit. You must be in possession of any local or state-required permits necessary for your operations. You must not have any pending or confirmed animal control or criminal citations or violations.
- While we admire and applaud all organizations that help animals, Adopt-a-Pet.com’s specific mission is to help companion animals waiting to be adopted. To that end, only animal shelters and rescue groups whose primary purpose is to adopt out pets may be listed on Adopt-a-Pet.com.
- Please keep your pet listings on our site current and remove listings of pets that are no longer for adoption.
- Please respond to all pet inquiries made by the public within a reasonable time period. We kindly ask you to treat members of the public, especially those who find you through Adopt-a-Pet.com, in a courteous fashion. Rudeness hurts the cause of pet adoptions and sends potential adopters to breeders and pet stores. GRRR… So we cannot stress this request enough. If you get more inquiries than you can respond to, or if you can’t respond to certain inquiries at all (out of state, for example), please have your voice mail or e-mail automatically give the public this information so they do not expect to hear back from you.
- Adopt-a-Pet.com is a family-friendly site. All pet postings and shelter information viewable by the public must be suitable for people of all ages. No profanity or anything else unsuitable for children is allowed. We want to make sure that pet adoption is perceived as a fun, positive thing for everybody!
- Only pets that are available for adoption may be posted on Adopt-a-Pet.com. Please do not post lost, adopted, or deceased pets.
- Please be honest in your pet postings about breeds, ages, and all other information, and, when dealing with adopters, please disclose any known health or behavior issues.
- Adopt-a-Pet.com does not allow users to require an application fee of adopters who find them via Adopt-a-Pet.com. (An application fee is a non refundable fee charged to submit an application to adopt a pet, even if the application is not approved or the submitter does not adopt.) We do allow users to charge an adoption fee.
- If you maintain multiple shelter accounts, please do not post the same pets within 250 miles of each other.
- From time to time, we need to email our shelter and rescue partners to notify you about changes to the site, important new features, and other relevant information. By signing up to post pets for adoption on our site, you agree to receive these emails from us. Please note that we will never sell or rent your information to “spammers” or other third parties.
By signing up to post pets for adoption on Adopt-a-Pet.com, you are agreeing that Adopt-a-Pet.com staff, donors, funders, board members or sponsors are not responsible for any issues that may arise out of contact you have with anyone as a result of your organization or your pets being listed on our site.
EDITOR’S NOTE: ADOPT-APET IS AN PROGRAM SPONSORED BY PURINA AND BAYER. Humane America Animal Foundation, dba Adopt-a-Pet.com, is a non-profit, tax-deductible 501(c)(3) adoption advertising charity. Our mission (and passion) is to help get homeless pets out of the shelters and into loving homes.